Monday, November 5, 2018

Simplicity Pattern 2788 - A Purple Cat Costume

Lawd knows how much I love a good Halloween. And a good Halloween we HAD.


This year Everett's costume was store-bought, since I had no desire to tackle the whole cosplay thing. Alice wanted to be a purple cat, so we went to Joann and let her pick out her favorite fleece fabric. Her arms and legs were kept warm by purple leggings and a long sleeved shirt from Primary.com.


Her costume pattern was Simplicity 2788, and I substituted a cat ear headband for the hat options. The cat face was freehand work. I cut felt pieces out of fabric left over from costumes of years past, then did a whip stitch to secure them in place. I prefer this hand sewing method over gluing or fusing, since I find those other methods tend to peel at the corners.

I wrapped the headband (one with cat ears I found at Joann) with random purple polka dot fabric I had in the basement (also used for the cat's pupils). To do this:

  • Cut fabric in 1/2" strips using pinking sheers (to avoid frayed fabric). Ribbon could also work.
  • Use a hot glue gun on about 1-2 inches of the headband.
  • Carefully wrap the fabric around the headband and over the glue.
  • When the glue cools a bit, press the fabric down.
  • Add another 1-2 inches of glue (depending on how fast you work), and keep wrapping until you reach the end.
  • To finish, put some glue on the end of the fabric covering the headband.
  • Tuck end of fabric strip and place over the glue. Hold until firmly in place. 
  • I also added some little pieces of pink fabric to the ears using hot glue because I knew it would make her happy.

And there you have it. My little purple cat! 


Is there anything more fun than trick-or-treating? 


So you don't think this all went over without a hitch, Alice was DEVASTATED to discover I had used green felt for her cat's eyes. She wanted PURPLE. Even though the pupils were purple, she did.not.want that green. I explained to her that cats' eyes are green or yellow. She didn't care. So I reasoned. Iiiif there was time, I would change the green to pink. But, Mommy might not have time to fix it, ok? She was completely fine with this, and we (surprisingly) moved on with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...