Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Making a Modern Concept Quilt

I was looking through some old photographs and realized I never fully shared the quilt I made a while back, other than on Instagram.


This quilt took a pretty long time for me to make. Like, months...more months than are in one year. In my defense I got pregnant and lost steam, as you do. It was originally supposed to be a wedding present for one of my best friends. My present to her was not puking at her wedding instead. I think she was thrilled to receive such a gift. Anyway, one thing led to another and it became an anniversary present instead...anniversary plus a few months.

So here's what I did. 

I knew the happy couple loved visiting Mt. Rainier when they lived in Seattle, and that area meant a lot to them. I found a picture they had taken while hiking, then went to town trying to recreate the scene in a modern, textile format.

Some of the fabric I used was left over from the previous quilt I made, and the other pieces were acquired to fill the colors that were needed. I think cutting fabric is my least favorite task of all tasks that could possibly exist in this world, and try doing this task during the first trimester. Sheesh. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Once I got over my anxiety and finished cutting (after Alice was born), Jeff helped me arrange the strips. I should mention that it really only took me another 30 minutes of cutting. I hate how crippling anxiety can be.


Anyway, then I sewed the rows together.


Next, I joined all the rows and trimmed to a rectangle, adding more strips to the ends when/if needed. 


 Here's a picture of the sweetest baby there ever was, since that's how old these pictures are. 



My friend's favorite color was turquoise (it was even her wedding color), so that explains the background color choice.


(Try to ignore my feet.)

This quilt may have taken the back burner for a little longer than originally planned, but I am so glad I was able to wait for Alice to arrive before finishing it. She was the sweetest little baby helper ever. And I did manage to finish it in less than 2 years, so small victories. 



The good news...I signed up to make another quilt for Everett's school auction.
The bad news...this means I need to start cutting fabric pieces pronto. Help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...