Monday, October 12, 2015

22 Weeks Pregnant


Bellies and bodies are getting huge over here. It seems that people are either commenting on how huge I am getting, or they are telling me I do not even look pregnant. I certainly feel pregnant everywhere. I look in the mirror and feel like a cow, my hips and ligaments are sore, and I am in that awkward phase where I am hungry all the time, yet nothing sounds good.

Last night Jeff and I went to a birthing prep class offered by my prenatal yoga teacher. I always find her classes helpful for my aches and pains, and I love to witness all the expecting mamas grow from week to week. When I was in labor with Everett, I used many of the calming exercises she taught in class to progress the labor. Since I was in labor for only 6 hours, I would say it worked!

Last night husbands were welcome to join us in class, and they learned tips on how to help us through labor. We practiced massage techniques, yoga poses, breathing exercises, and they were given general guidelines on how to be our advocate at the hospital. Toward the end of class the partners were seated against the wall with their legs spread, and the women were nestled against their chests. We were instructed to relax against them and breathe, while they were pushing on pressure points used to relieve pain. I was so relaxed and calm, and closed my eyes. At this moment I had an out of body experience. My past self from 10 years ago was in the room watching. How could I have known, 10 years ago, that I would be here? I was nestled against my warm, caring husband, our beautiful child was sleeping peacefully at home, and we were preparing for the birth of our second baby. Does life get any better than this?

If we could see ourselves 10 years into the future, how much more would we appreciate the present moment? I could not be more content with my life, but I seldom stop to give thanks for all the rich blessings I have.

For those interested, Neely offers the birthing prep class at Harmony Yoga Studio every few weeks. The cost is only $40 per couple, which is totally worth it. Follow her on Facebook (Neely's Yoga) to get news and information about her upcoming workshops.


- SHIRT: Full Moon Maternity via Stitch Fix Maternity - PANTS: Margaret M Maternity via Stitch Fix Maternity - SHOES: TOMS Flats via Zulily

How do I feel?
As I sit here I think, "I feel great!" Then when I try to stand up everything falls apart. This pubic symphisis is killing me. If there is anyone out there who knows a cure (that is not Tylenol), please contact me immediately. The yoga, stretching, and strengthening helps, but my "area" is still on fire

Weight gain?
17 lbs. At first I thought I was letting myself go, then I realized this is exactly how much I gained by this point with Everett. Phew. I'm gonna go eat now.

Food cravings?
My most recent obsession is lime flavored mineral water. La Croix and Trader Joe's are my two favorite brands, but I am always willing to try new products. I am also loving anything with hella flavor. This means I am dousing anything and everything with hot sauce.

Food aversions?
Not really. The heartburn is starting to kick in at night, so I am sure I will need to step back on the hot sauce here pretty quick.

Sleep?
I am sleeping like a champ these days! My current routine is as follows:
  • 7:45pm get ready for bed
  • 8:00pm start reading book on the couch
  • By 8:30pm fall asleep on the couch
  • 11:00pm wake from nap 
  • 11:15 read book in bed (I'm surprisingly energized at this time)
  • 12:00am fall back asleep for the rest of the night
The other day my Fitbit told me I slept 11 hours. This is unheard of with a toddler! Not every night is bliss though. I have awoken to a couple debilitating leg cramps. Neely says that taking calcium magnesium before bed helps with night cramps, so I will have to try this if the symptoms worsen.

Movement?
Lots of movement! It is funny how baby already has a schedule. I can count on movement at certain times of the day, and for the most part the schedule is pretty consistent.

Stretch marks?
Not that I can see.

Bellybutton?
Innie. I don't think this is going to change.

Sex?
It's a...


There were more balloons in that bunch before Everett popped them.

What have I learned?
I am trying really hard not to be a crazy person, despite the raging hormones and excruciating pain I am always in. I believe that children inherit a mother's emotional baggage, and this transfers to real life when they exit the womb. I do not want our little girl to hear me shouting at Everett in frustration, or yelling at people who cut me off during rush hour traffic. Even though she's not currently here, she can still hear and sense everything that is happening. In fact, I feel her moving around (in agitation?) when I start to lose it. As hard as these emotions are to manage, I am still going to try, and I think (hope!) the yoga and breathing exercises I learn in class will help.


2 comments:

  1. You look great, Emily! A belly band helped me tolerate the pubic pain I had when I was pregnant. It sort of pushed my hips back together and it felt a lot better walking/standing. Sitting, it was a pain since it tended to ride up. I wish I would have used it earlier and more often walking though. 20/20 hindsight. I used this one, usually without the top strap, worn really low across my hips: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10813242&cp=&parentPage=search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the advice Nichole! I am totally buying one of those! At this point I am willing to try anything. Also, I love seeing your pictures of little Joey. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...