Thursday, November 8, 2012

They're Back...

So remember those Breastfeeding Nazis who were assaulting me earlier in my pregnancy? Well, it turns out they are also concerned about the well-being of my son's penis. Beware the Circumcision Nazis!

Actual thread on my facebook newsfeed.

You can only imagine how conversations go when people ask me about our plans for this procedure. There are hateful opinions from each side of the spectrum (well, honestly more from one side than the other). And believe me, we understand the benefits and risks of circumcision vs. non-circumcision, but also understand why the procedure should not be taken lightly. Here are the medical/psychological facts:

  • Circumcision can prevent infections (from something as harmless as a UTI to HIV and cancer).
  • Circumcision is mostly cosmetic these days, since we as a society bathe regularly and aren't in war trenches for days at a time.
  • Circumcision can cause extreme pain for your child, especially if it is not performed correctly.
  • Circumcision can cause infection. 
  • Circumcision may affect sexual pleasure.
  • Cleaning an uncircumcised penis is not as hard as your grandmother would have you believe.
  • A doctor who performs adult circumcisions has a very full schedule.
  • Circumcision is best done when the child is a newborn.
  • You will get judged if you circumcise your child.
  • You will get judged if you do not circumcise your child.
  • Your child will get judged by his peers either way.
  • If the rapture happens, those with circumcised penises will be left behind.

So there you have it! Clearly it is a big decision for any family, and one that should not be taken lightly. As for anyone wanting to know whether or not we are circumcising our child, my response is, "Why are you asking me about my son's penis, you pervert?" If I want your opinion, I will ask for it. For now, know we are determined to research the topic as thoroughly as possible, and will make a decision we find is best for our family.

See, look how responsible we are with our research!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...