Saturday, January 4, 2014

Restoration and Renewal

It's a new year, meaning new beginnings, growth, and renewal. New Year's resolutions are about starting fresh and making positive changes in our lives. This year I did not make any resolutions, mainly because I hate feeling like a failure when I am unable to make these dreams a reality. I want  to run a half marathon this year, but I am not resolving to. I want  to practice yoga once a week, but I can't realistically do so.

This New Year is particularly tough for me because I turned 30. Yeah, my birthday is on New Year's Day. Try going out on New Year's Day. You can't! Everything is closed, everyone is hung over, friends are often out of town, and the birthday gets forgotten. It never really bothers me because this is how it has always been. We can usually celebrate the night before with everyone else. However, this year Jeff threw me an awesome surprise party on my actual birthday, and I felt very loved and honored. I am so blessed to have such a thoughtful husband!

The day was also bittersweet. The Big 3-0 officially makes me an adult. This basically means I have no chance of getting a date with Barney Stinson, and I no longer have an excuse for making bad choices (like dating Barney Stinson). I should technically be in my life career making good money, and my uterus will now begin to wither. And here comes January 1st with everyone making resolutions to diet and exercise, while Everett plays with my baby pooch.

Considering that I am now an adult, and evaluating all that has transpired in my personal life over the last few weeks, I have been examining my life with a fine-toothed comb. Am I where I thought I would be? Is this the life I want to have?

I do not know the answers.
 
I do not know where life will lead me, and I do not know what things will look like when I get there. Heck, I don't even know if I'll have a roof over my head this year! But in all this chaos and uncertainty, I vow to be positive and open minded about the journey, to cut out sources of negativity in my life, to have faith in times of trouble, and to love every step of the way.

We hiked the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. Definitely a worthy resolution if you are looking for one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...