Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Remembering - The Land of Fire and Ice

Exactly one year ago, Jeff and I were on our last travel extravaganza as a childless couple. The two of us are really into adventure, and had been wanting to visit Iceland for a long time. Before we planned our big trip, I was looking at our Iceland travel guides purchased months prior, then at our budget, and had intense feelings of loss. "I will never go to Iceland." 

Providence is a funny thing, because my sister-in-law emailed me just hours later with a Travelzoo deal that caught my attention. Icelandair was offering an Iceland tour package at a price that could not be beat. The trip would be during one of Jeff's breaks from school, it would cost us less than $2,000.00 for airfare and 5 star accommodations, and included a fantastic tour of the island. Thinking it was too good to be true, I went through the purchasing process to see if it was a scam. It wasn't, and during this examination, I discovered that Bjork (one of our favorite singer/songwriters) would be putting on a concert in Reykjavik, and we could purchase tickets to see her in advance while booking our vacation. She would be debuting her new album, Biophilia, and we would get to see it live.

I immediately called Jeff to tell him about the offer, and he was incredibly interested. Then I told him about the Bjork concert. His response was, "Buy those tickets now!" With shaking fingers and a pounding heart, I put in our credit card information and hit the "Purchase" button. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life, and turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made. 

The Land of Fire and Ice

I apologize for the image quality. The air was so humid and chilly that my camera was having a hard time. After all, we were in Iceland.  



Galloping Icelandic horses through the countryside. They really did let you gallop!

  
Reykjavik


 









Island Tour






Gullfoss Waterfall

Gullfoss Waterfall



You can see the two tectonic plates. Science!


Relaxation

The spa of our hotel. You would find us here at least once a day.


Bjork


Although our time in Iceland was brief, we enjoyed every moment to the fullest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...