Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Highlights from 33 Weeks

Nursery Progress
I am happy to announce that after 7 months of searching high and low, we found the perfect piece of furniture (at Shopko of all places) for Bebe's dresser/changing table. Well, technically my friend found it for her bedroom and I copied her...but that's besides the point. Anyway, it was a 3 hour ordeal putting it together (think Ikea furniture assembly), and a backache and Braxton Hicks contractions definitely resulted. However, the end result is worth the pain. This dresser is perfect. Also, I'm seeing into the future and definitely not looking forward to the day when our crazy little boy runs his head into the corner...he is related to me after all...ever wonder where that scar on my forehead came from?

Diapers!
The desire to live green + extensive research = our first cloth diaper purchase! I'm officially hooked. I check all the websites daily to see what's on sale. We plan to use disposables for the first few weeks, then transition into cloth when his stomach is more developed. Who has time to do laundry in the first 2 weeks of a baby's life?

So far so good!
Carnivore
Jeff and I made Bangers and Mash for some dear friends of ours using this bomb recipe - use Trader Joe's Italian sausage and less broth than the recipe calls for...you won't regret it. With the philosophy of "When in Rome," I decided to put a sausage on my plate with the intention of giving it a try, which in my book means a tiny bite. I ate half the link. I would have eaten the whole thing, but didn't want to destroy my stomach too much, so gave the rest to a willing consumer. Another event worth note was my nephew's 2nd birthday party. At said gathering, I couldn't stop looking at the bratwursts sitting next to the potato salad. I was literally salivating. So I had a bite. With ketchup. It was worth it. Finally, since we still had sausage left over, Jeff decided to cook some to add to his dinner. Whilst he was cooking vegetarian pasta with sausage on the side, I was at Joann's getting supplies for Jeff's office makeover. When I walked in the door, all I could focus on was the overwhelming smell of sausage taking over my house. So spicy, so meaty, so juicy. He graciously put some on my plate "just in case," and all the little morsels were consumed. Quickly. Does this mean I'm no longer a vegetarian??? Maybe I'm a sausagetarian. In Britain they'd call me a bangertarian.

Office Progress
Speaking of Jeff's office makeover, it's slowly coming along. Our loot from Joann.com came in the mail this week, and I was able to get started. My first goal was to reupholster the chairs. The end result: awesomeness. In no way is it perfect, but it is a huge improvement. The only hiccup(s) resulted from the 20-year-old staple gun I borrowed from my mom. She may be borrowing mine from now on because I definitely had to buy a new one during my third-trip-in-an-hour to the hardware store.

Before and After. Note: this picture was taken before I stitched the fabric tight on the back rest; I promise the end result is much cleaner than what is pictured. Last night I finished up by doing a whip stitch to hold the fabric tightly in place.


Intentions
I set many intentions for my week, one of which was to "exercise" for 20 minutes a day. "Exercise" means reupholstering a chair, walking, cleaning, swimming, or yoga. Basically anything that requires me to exert myself...which is most forms of movement. However, I am proud to announce that I can still swim a half mile. It takes me about 5 minutes longer, but it still feels like an accomplishment. It truly amazes me how easily I am able to move through the water, especially when you consider my waddle immediately after I exit the pool. I even did some water jogging, and jogging on pavement is 100% impossible. Go me!

Nesting Progress
As you can tell, this week was filled with lots of activity and nesting. I even went so far as to clean the filters in the vacuum, which by the way smelled like smoke thanks to the central Washington forest fires.

Breakdown
How do I feel?
Revenge of the round ligaments! I was under the impression these were done. Apparently my body wants to remind me just how terrible it feels, so they're BAAAaaack. This time they are much...lower. Like, down there. The other day I attempted to lift my leg up to put on leggings. My foot got about 3 inches off the ground before it could not be lifted any further, then I peed my pants a little. Luckily my woman's intuition told me to put on a panty liner just minutes before. 

Weight gain?
25 lbs! Hello Baby! According to science, I should be gaining weight at about 1 pound/week until delivery.

Food cravings?
Obviously meat. And last night my healthy, nutritious snack was Oreo cookies dipped in hot chocolate. It was great.

Food aversions?
Not exactly, but the mere thought of sushi is pretty terrible.  

Sleep?
And now for a pregnancy symptom no one ever talks about. The other night I had a dream my high school music teacher and I decided to take our show on the road. It was a pretty good show, but I can't tell you what it was because I don't remember. However, we were going to take this country by storm! Before we left Spokane, I naturally had to brush my teeth. When I spit out my toothpaste in the dream, I felt a slimy sensation on my face in the waking world. "Oh crap, I just spit on myself AGAIN?!" It was the fifth time this happened. I keep having dreams that I'm spitting something out, then wake up with saliva all over me. What's the deal? And I didn't even get to see how well our show did because I had to clean myself off.

Movement?
Now that he's crammed in my belly, the movement is more focused on particular areas. I feel pressure in my ribcage when he wiggles his legs, and there's usually a corresponding punch in the nether regions. Also, this kiddo is a wild one sometimes. I'm pretty much Bella in Breaking Dawn when the baby is taking over her body and crushing her insides. Actually, let's ignore the fact that I just made a Twilight reference. Just know that when I look down, I can see my belly moving back and forth like crazy. It's creepy, and I can't stop watching. (In case you were wondering, the name we have picked out is E.J., short for Edward Jacob. I also hope you realize that's a joke.)

Stretch marks?
Not that I can see, but I can really only see a small portion of my belly anymore.

Bellybutton?
Innie. I have a really deep bellybutton, so I'm thinking this probably will not change. However, I am also told that is might pop like a turkey timer when [E.J.] is fully cooked.

Gender?
Assuming all these blue things I'm acquiring will be appropriate in a few weeks.

What have I learned?
This whole pregnancy thing is exhausting - the other day I started panting after eating a carrot. But it's so weird to think that in 2 months I'll be wearing normal(ish) clothes, sleeping on my back and stomach, and drinking alcohol and coffee. A friend told me I would miss the bump after Little Wirth comes. I think I am starting to realize this might be true. Perhaps I'll have nostalgia for the era in my life when I was uncomfortable all the time, and constantly foraging for food. And though I've missed my wardrobe, this growing belly has been good for our pocketbook. Before, when I saw something cute I thought, "Can't wear that anymore." But now I am thinking, "That is so cute and might fit me soon!" Maybe I should start a savings account for when I go on my first post-pregnancy shopping spree. At any rate, he'll be here soon! So soon! But don't worry, I think I am done with the panic attacks...for now.

33 weeks

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...