- Ceramic 4" x 4" tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot
- Martha Stewart Glass Paint in Gloss Opaque (colors of your choice)
- Martha Stewart Transparent Glass Paint in Crystal Clear
- Hot glue gun
- Felt for pads
- Rags for cleanup
Let's get started!
1. Paint baby's feet in the colors you desire for the "body" of the bug.
2. Press baby's foot onto coaster.
3. Use smaller brushes to paint details around the footprints (i.e. heads and wings).
4. Wash baby's feet!
5. Allow paint to dry overnight.
6. When paint is dry, brush a generous layer of Martha Stewart Transparent Glass Paint in Crystal Clear over the entire coaster. This will seal in your image. Allow this layer of paint to dry for about an hour.
7. Place coaster in cool oven, then turn the heat up to 350 degrees. Allow to bake for 30 minutes.
8. Turn off oven and let coasters cool completely before removing.
9. Hot glue felt to the bottom of each tile to protect your table from scratches during use.
I hope your child enjoys this project half as much as mine did. He loved feeling the brushes on his feet, and laughed every time I pressed his foot to the tile.
What I loved most about the glass paint is that it was easy to correct mistakes. You can just scrape off the dried paint if you are not pleased with the finished product. For example, I hated this bee's head:
So I scraped it off with a plastic knife and repainted it.